Monday, May 28, 2012

The good, the bad & the future

Well, as of tomorrow, the kids have been out for a week... I am trying to reflect on this past school year and gear up for next year.

So, what went well???

1.  Having a 120 min reading block & a 90 min math block: This is the first year I have had both of these, and I really think it is why my students did so well.  I feel like this is the first year I was able to successfully have centers in both too. 

2.  The clip chart behavior system:  Having an option for students who are doing good was a new one for me, but I can totally see the benefits.  My kids ate it up!!!

What didn't work out...

1.  My team- I love them (honestly), but it sometimes felt like we weren't in sync.  We have had a lot of changes, so I am hoping that next year will be better. 

2.  Getting copies ready:  Does anyone have a system for this?  I felt 2 steps behind all year when it came to having them done. 

The future...

My summer to-do list:

1. Organize my pinterest boards.  Right now they are a hot mess!
2. Organize my laptop & take it to get it cleaned.  Does your district do this too? 
3. Create my long-term units for the year for reading.  I would also like to get a skeleton plan set up until at least Christmas. 
4. Create new testing folders
5 Create new posters for my room (literary devices, etc)
6. Create my tri-folds for reading for at least the first 9 weeks of school. 
7.  Work on our team newsletter, policies, etc. 
8.  Clean my entire house!!! I want to steam clean, paint, and organize

and relax a little too :)

and a million other things :) 

So what are your plans for this summer???   Check out this great linky party : Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher Linky Party

4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    How exciting to find a new upper grade blog!
    Your summer To Do list looks like mine... and I am still in school for three more weeks!

    Welcome to the BloggyUniverse. We are so glad you are here!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh... My pinterest boards are a mess too and I want to actually make and do some of things on those boards! I am your newest follower

    Taylor at BakingCraftingTeaching Oh My

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so going to miss my 120 minutes that I get with my kiddos for ELA. Next year we are going to be single blocked and will only be getting 55 minutes. It is going to be tough, but I am looking forward to the challenge. I am hoping that the kids will stay more engaged since I will not have them for as long.

    I also have had so many team problems this school year. They have all been teaching for so long and are not willing to change how they teach. It is going to be worse next year I think because there are only two of us who will be teaching 6th grade ELA. It will be my 2nd year and her 43rd year. Fingers crossed it will be okay!

    Miss Klohn
    Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete